The Realmgates of the Realms form an unseen network extending both within and without the borders of a given realm connecting points separated by oceans, or even by the void between the Realms. Every realmgate is unique with some resembling shimmering wounds in the fabric of reality, others take the form of immense rune etched stone gateways or portcullises forged from mystic iron. Some are humble, hidden things, known only to a few. [10a]
Many have been corrupted by Chaos, others destroyed and some sealed by the Slann, they remain a vital resource and strategic asset to be secured and fought over by the powers of the Mortal Realms. [10a]
All realmgates are ancient, the oldest known having existed well before the first Human cities. [10a]
Age of Myth
Various adventuerers and sages attempt to count, detail and map the realmgates but few achived any measure of success, with many going insane. Those few maps which were created of some elements of the network are highly valued and sought after. [10a]
Age of Chaos
Having no need to use them, but seeing the importance of the Realmgates to the forces of Chaos, the Slann weave spells that change the alignment of many gateways altering their destination forever.
Age of Sigmar
The realmgates were important in the war that heralded the Age of Sigmar named after them. Each time a Stormcast conquered a realmgate, Lord-Castellants would man them while the Dispossessed and the Ironweld would build fortified town around it, which would later grow into cities.[8b]
In the Skies
The High Airs are crisscrossed with mysterious realmgates of varying sizes. Some are so titanic that entire sky-ports can pass threw them. A great many of these realmgates are known only by the various kharadron Admirals Council.[11a]
Notable Realmgates of the Skies
- The Shadowed ZoneNeeds Citation
Types of Gates
- Arcway: Unique Realmgates that connect to the realm known as Allpoints. Each Mortal Realm contains only one Arcway, which are heavily guarded by fortresses called All-gates. Prior to the Realmgate Wars, all the Arcways save the Arcway to Azyr remained open and their All-gates were occupied by Chaos forces.
- Brimfire Gate: The Arcway of Aqshy. Closed by the Stormcast Eternals.
- Genesis Gate: The Arcway of Ghyran. Closed by the Stormcast Eternals.
- Endgate: The Arcway of Shyish. Controlled by the forces of Chaos.
- Mercurial Gate: The Arcway of Chamon. Controlled by the forces of Chaos.
- Mawgate: The Arcway of Ghur. Freed from Chaos by the Ironjawz, but remains open.
- Penumbral Gate: The Arcway of Ulgu. The fate of this Realmgate is currently a mystery, as all forces sent there do not return.
- Baleful Realmgates: Unstable and flickering, these gates have been cursed by the dark gods. Anyone that travels through them runs the risk of being devoured by daemons. Powerful wizards and priests can stabilize these portals for some time.
- Gates of Azyr: Are portals connecting Azyr to one of the other Mortal Realms. The most famous is the Whispering Gate located in Aqshy in the Brimstone Peninsula. Its conquest was the first objective of the Sigmar's recovery of the realms.
- Mallus Portals: Realmgates to and from Azyr, cannot be corrupted by Chaos.[8a]
- Whirlways: A network of realmgates used by the Idoneth Deepkin connecting in the mythical birthplace of the Cythai.
- 1: What's News Today: 2015/07/21
- 2: Baleful Realmgates product description
- 3: White Dwarf Issue 75 4 July 2015, Sigmar Strikes
- 4: Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - Mighty Battles in an Age of Unending War
- 5: The Realmgate Wars: All-gates
- 6: Battletome: Everchosen (2015), pg. 29-32
- 7: Battletome: Seraphon (2015), pg. 15-18
- 8: Age of Sigmar: Core Book (2nd Edition)
- 9: The Learning
- 10: Soulbound Core Rulebook
- 10a: The Mortal Realms, pg. 162
- 11: Battletome: Kharadron Overlords (2020)
- 11a: Dwellings of the Kharadron, pg. 24-27