Skaven are an army originally from the Warhammer: Fantasy Battles that was broken down into many factions for the Grand Alliance of Chaos when it transitioned into Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. The army would later be re-released with Warhammer Legends, with warscrolls for every Citadel miniature Games Workshop has released.
- For more background information see: Skaven
The vile Skaven gnaw the roots of the world like a malignant cancer. They spread corruption, mercilessly undermining civilisation, waiting until the time is ripe to invade. Countless armies prepare to burst forth from their underground realm to claim their race's rightful heritage. To rule supreme is their ultimate destiny, promised to them a hundredfold in the furtive whispers of the Great Horned Rat, the malevolent god of the ratmen that is forever scratching at the fabric separating the material world from the great beyond.
In the Mortal Realms their units exist in the following factions:
- Grand Alliance of Chaos
- The 2015 version of the Skaven Compendium had 45 Warscrolls.
- It came with the Verminus Clawpack, Moulder Clawpack, Pestilent Clawpack and Eshin Clawpack Battalions.
- The Skaven had the following background:
- Screeching and scrabbling throughout time and space, the skaven gnaw at the fringes of every nation. The Children of the Horned Rat infest the Mortal Realms much as vermin infest a sewer, watching, lurking and sniffing out opportunities to further their vile agendas. They are each desperate to rise above friend and foe alike, and will commit acts of shocking betrayal to do so, for all skaven possess a vicious ingenuity born of a desire for conquest.
- The 2017 version of the Skaven Compendium had 2 Warscrolls.
- This release came after the Grand Alliance books that saw many of the Skaven units distributed through several factions of the Grand Alliance of Chaos and the General's Handbook 2016 that added points for Matched Play in Warhammer Age of Sigmar.
- Many of the Warscrolls existing in the previous version were removed, with many named characters substituted with more generic ones. These warscrolls in this version are referred as Legacy by the players.
- Version 02/03/2019 of the Skaven Legends Compendium had 42 Warscrolls.
- This version is more close to the 2015 version with many of the rules were changed, removing funny rules and adding synergy between units that made the faction as a whole more competitive.