The Cities of Sigmar that have been created in the Age of Sigmar are all ruled by a system modeled after the original Grand Conclave of Azyrheim. Though the size of the Conclave and the titles of it's members vary from city to city.[1a][2a] Each Conclave is meant to represent the dizzying diversity among the Free Peoples that live within the city they govern.[11a]
Lords of the Heavenhall
Where once Azyrheim had been ruled by a senate with representatives from the many and varied factions within the city, however in the Age of Chaos many were corrupted by the Dark Gods of Chaos and a bloody civil war begun on its streets. In its aftermath, Sigmar himself slew those he considered guilty, whether they were tainted by Chaos or simple hatred, and decreed the creation of a new government.[1a]
The Lords of the Heavenhall became the first Grand Conclave to ever be established, tasked with governing Azyrheim in Sigmar's stead. It is comprised of two-hundred forty-four members each given a title and command by the God-King himself.[1a][2a]
Grand Conclave of Hammerhal
The Grand Conclave, sometimes known as the Stormrift Conclave, that governs over the Twin-Tailed City of Hammerhal is perhaps one of the most important within Sigmar's vast demsnes. Not only does this council of 244 members govern over the city of Hammerhal, which is a vast metropolid built on both sides of the Stormrift Realmgate, it also directs the armies of Order all across the Mortal Realms in their wars against Chaos and Nagash. The council is comprised of Duardin, Aelves, and Humans who represent every faction and great city of Order. They assemble and govern from the Aqshy side of the city.[4a]
The Council of Twelve is a sub-body of the Grand Conclave of Hammerhal that is responsible for directing the relations between Hammerhal Aqsha and Hammerhal Ghyra, the two halves of the massive metropolis. These lords are selected by the authority of Azyr .[4a]
Known Positions and Titles
- Conclave Head: The Grand Conclaves of the Free Cities are usually, but not always, led by state heads with lofty titles. The most commonly used among these is the title of Master Patriarch. Though in many cases they rule in name only.[1a][2a] Other titles used by the leaders of Conclaves include Chancellor[2a], Landgrave[6a], and High Matriarch.[5a] Occasionally such positions are hereditary.[6a]
- High Arbiter: Responsible for dispensing justice and overseeing the Law. [1a]
- Magister: Magisters oversee arcane matters, this position is often held by the highest ranking member of the Collegiate Arcane in the area. [1a][11a]
- High Artisans: Most cities will have multiple High Artisans serving on their conclaves. They are responsible for overseeing the infrastructure of a city, as well as maintaining it's defenses and fortifications. The original Grand Conclave of the Eternal City of Azyrheim itself boasted six individual High Artisans.[1a][2a][11a]
- Lord/Lady Vintner: Those who hold this title are taxed with overseeing festivals and festivities within their Free City.[7a]
Positions on the Hammerhal Conclave
- Alumnus Verita: A title held by members of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave. An Alumnus Verita is a representatives hailing from other major cities of Order, tasked to represent the interests of their people in Hammerhal.
- High Artillerist of the Dispossessed: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave.
- High Castellan: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave.
- High Despot of the Order of Azyr: A title held by a member of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave. Though the title marks them as a representative of the Order of Azyr, little is known about it or what duties the title holder retains.
- Imports Doyenne: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave. It can be assumed their duties involve the inflow of imports into the city.
- Lord Audacious: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave.
- Mistress of the Cogforts: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave. Their duties involve overseeing the city's Cogforts.
- Prime Commander: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave. The Prime Commander serves as a military representative.
- Supreme Pontifex: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave.
- Wallmistress of the High Artisans: A title held by a member of the Hammerhalian Grand Conclave.
- Arbitrave: A title of the Conclave of Arbitrium.[6b]
- Excelsior: A title of the Conclave of Arbitrium. Represents the High Temple to Sigmar in that city.[6b]
- High Architect: The High Architects help design the Free Cities and their defenses.[2a][6a]
- Lord-Commander of the Knights of the Undying Crusade: In Arbitrium the commander of the order known as the Knights of the Undying Crusade held position and title on the Conclave.[6b]
- Margrave: In the city of Arbitrium the high commander, the Margrave, of the Freeguilds had a high position on the Conclave.[6a][6b]
- Master of the Tithe: Those Free Cities, such as Arbitrium, who have fallen under the yoke of the Ossiarch Empire often place a Master of the Tithe on their conclave. It is this individual's grim duty and task to prepare the city each tithing period.[6b]
- Representative of Swifthawk Eyrie: The city of Arbitrium boasted a representative of the Swifthawk Agents on their conclave.[6b]
Conflicts often erupt between the groups and subfactions that represent a City of Sigmar's many Free Peoples, though only rarely does it descend into bloodshed. Instead such conflicts play out in the governing body of the city, with bribery, blackmail, filibustering, and politicking of all sorts plaguing nearly every Conclave.[11a]
- 1: Battletome: Cities of Sigmar (2019)
- 1a: Ancient Grandeur, pg. 9
- 2: Soulbound Brightspear City Guide
- 2a: Chapter One: Welcome to the Brightspear
- 3: White Dwarf December 2020
- 4: Soulbound Cities of Flame
- 4a: Hammerhal, pg. 22-28
- 5: Anvilgard City Guide
- 5a: Chapter One: Anvilgard
- 6: Bonereapers (Novella)
- 7: Soulbound Trouble Brewing
- 7a: Non-Player Characters, pg. 3
- 8: The Crimson Connoisseur story on the Malign Portents website
- 9: The Cause Celebre story on the Malign Portents website
- 10: The Great and the Good short story on the Malign Portents website
- 11: Soulbound: Champions of Order
- 11a: Chapter Three: Archetypes