|Associated factions||Monsters of Chaos|
Sons of Behemat
There are many tales and rumours from the Age of Myth that tell possible origins of the Gargants in the Mortal Realms:
- The bacchic descendants of a prehistorical gargant tribe that once wandered throughout the realms.
- Some believe they were once a race of wise and strong builders that helped the Free Peoples construct cities and empires. It was said that they once stood at Sigmar's side and the wisest belonged to his councils, helping him during the age of expansion and prosperity.
- Others believe they are the descendants of Behemat, a Zodiac Godbeast rumoured to live in Ghyran. Once mighty forest-warriors and woodland kings whose empires stood in every realm and stretched over the horizon. Coarse and slightly bestial, their pursued civilisation up to a certain point as they weren't partial to excessive clothing and lacked personal hygiene.
- Some legends say they are the refugees of a destroyed world that settled in the realms, drowning their sorrows of losing their land in copious amounts of booze.
Of these various origins, it has been confirmed that the group of tribes known collectively as the Sons of Behemat are in fact the children of the Godbeast Behemat, birthed by vomiting after he invaded Verdia and consumed it's herds, driving several bovine species to extinction. These gargant tribes would come to build a great civilisation on the Harmonis Velt. This feat of procreation tires Behemat and he falls asleep his body slowly turning into landscape features.[4a]
- Ghurish Gargant: The most widely known and widespread of Gargantkind, wit is these lumbering and brutish entities that many mortals think of when they first hear the word Gargant.[5a]
- Mason-Gargants: Loyal followers of Sigmar.[5a]
- Mega-Garagants: The biggest and oldest of Gargantkind, many of whom date back to the days when Behemat still walked the Mortal Realms. With the death of their sire their numbers have swelled.[5a]
- Mere-Gargants: Swamp-dwelling Gargants known to inhabit the regions around Greywater Fastness.[6a]
- Ulguan Gargants: Gargants who consume light and whose shadows blot out continents.[5a]
- Aleguzzler Gargants: Perpetually drunk gargants that often follow the forces of destruction for the promise of alcoholic beverages.
- Sons of Behemat: Various tribes of Gargants born from Behemat, some of whom built a civilisation on the Harmonis Velt.[4a] They traverse the Mortal Realms eating, sleeping, and drinking whatever and whenever they please, leaving a path of destruction in their wake. [5a]
- Monsters of Chaos: Some gargants have been corrupted by the power of chaos.
- Bonesnapper Gargants: Tribes of Gargants who dwelled upon the Wailing Peaks in Shyish. Fell during the Bonesnapper Wars.[8a]
- Brimstone Tribe: Tzeentch-worshipping gargants with burning skulls that inhabited the Flamefields before they were slaughtered by Skuldrak the Destroyer.
- Obsidian Gargants of the Ashlands: A group of gargants who underestimated the Bonegrinz and were annihilated by them in battle.[7a]
- Stromfels Gargants: Gargants who dwell in the Realm of Azyr. Hamilcar Bear-Eater spoke on their behalf during the Cleansing of Azyr, when the God-King himself ordered their strongholds burned.[9a]
- 1: Grand Alliance: Destruction - Aleguzzler Gargants, pg. 70-71
- 2: Grand Alliance: Chaos - Chaos Gargants, pg. 228-229
- 3: Battletome: Khorne Bloodbound (2015), pg. 23-24
- 4: Age of Sigmar: Core Book (2nd Edition)
- 4a: The Everspring Swathe, pg. 92-95
- 5: Soulbound: Bestiary
- 5a: Chapter Nineteen: Sons of Behemat
- 6: Dark Harvest (novel)
- 6a: Chapter One: Blackwood
- 7: Battletome: Bonesplitterz (2016)
- 7a: Teef of the Bonegrinz, Pg. 61
- 8: Nagash: The Undying King
- 8a: Chapter Seven: The Crossing
- 9: Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods
- 9a: Chapter Seventeen