Age of Chaos
|Great Epochs:||Before the Ages • Age of Myth • Age of Chaos • Age of Sigmar|
The Age of Chaos, also known as the Black Years, the Reaving Time and the Great Slaugther, is one of the three Great Epochs of the Mortal Realms, preceded by the Age of Myth and succeeded by the Age of Sigmar. This age lasted hundreds of years with the forces of the Dark Gods overrunning the Mortal Realms with the exception of the Realm of Azyr. Many spike-ridden fortresses were built to drain the land's essence and spilling forth the baleful energies of Chaos. Midway across this age Sigmar retreated to Azyr and closed the realm, and begun taking the mightiest of mankind warriors from the battlefields into Sigmaron to be reforged into Stormcast Eternals[1a][1b]
It started with the end of Sigmar's great alliance and the dominion of chaos over the Realms at the Battle of Burning Skies and ended when the Stormcast Eternals of the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost were sent to the Brimstone Peninsula to open the Gate of Azyr.[1a]
- The Battle of Burning Skies - Gods and mortals unite for one final time to stop Chaos from consuming the Realms.
- Chaos Ascendant - the Red Century 
- A pack of Bloodthirsters ravage the city of Ulgarod.
- Alarielle dispatches twelve Sons of Durthu into the Realm of Ulgu to search for a weapon. 
- The Pandaemoniad of Tzeentch transmute every citizen of the city of Chamontarg into stone.
- Rotplague wipes out the great civilisations of the Realm of Ghyran
- A vast statue of Archaon is erected at the Manticore realmgate that leads to the Allpoints, the Ironjawz bring it down and do the same to or deface replacements, no matter how well guarded.
- The Idoneth Enclaves of Ionrach and Dhom-hain go to war with each other, drawing other other Idoneth Deepkin into the conflict. 
- Alarielle plants the seed of Drycha in the vale of Hamadrithil 
- The last of the great duardin Karak's fall at the Battle of Zaruk, many survivors flee to the fledgling sky-forts and airborne mining colonies.
- The Lantic Empire is crushed by Archaon.
- Hundreds of Flesh-eater courts then arise from the ruins of the Lantic empire.
- Archaon's chosen lords raise mighty keeps across the Realm of Ghur only to have them repeatedly besieged and destroyed by Ironjawz warclans
- The Skaven continue to rise in power until they are torn apart by an all-consuming civil war.
- The Time of Reaving begins as the duardin sky-ports fight over resources and mining rights.
- The Great Sky War is fought between the Kharadron Overlords and the Disciples of Tzeentch, both trying to claim dominion over the skies of the Mortal Realms.[9a]
- The War of Life begins as the followers of Nurgle invade the Jade Kingdoms of the Realm of Ghyran in ever increasing numbers.
- Many Idoneth Deepkin leave the Ionrach Enclave leave to found a new Enclave - the Nautilar on the back of the Great Scaphoden in the Realm of Ghur. 
- Darkorn the Devourer is tasked with wiping out the greenskins and many battles follow with specatcular defeats for Chaos at Splitbone Pass and the Sundeth Caves. His skull later adorns the gates of Varanspire.
- Idoneth Deepkin attach war covens of the Daughters of Khaine in search of aelf souls, the Daughters, especailly the Kraith swear they will have revenge.
- Sigmar closes the gates of the Realm of Azyr
- Tzeentch breaks the soul-stuff of Kaithanus into nine fragments and scatters it across the realms, the first syllable falls onto the Anachron Plateau whose people slowly begin to venerate it.
- The Keeper of Secrets Slish the Depraved and his daemons searching for their lost god discovers the Idoneth Deepkin Enclave of Aighmar.
- The fleets of the sky-port Barak-Nar defeat the airborne Waaagh of the Great Ghazbag. 
- Ironjawz warclans begin to seek out realmgates for a good scrap.
- The Briomdar Enclave of the Deepking repeatedly raid into the former forests of the Sylvaneth of the Mantle Coat, seeking to cull the beastmen in the once verdant glades.
- A hundred provinces fall to Chaos in the Twilos Expanse before the Carnedine Cortege transform the survivors into mordants and drive off the invaders.
- The Wars of the Dead: A set of wars between the forces of Chaos and the undead servants of Nagash, over dominance of the realm of the Dead.[1c]
- Battle of the Black Skies: One of the Barrow Wars that happened near the end of Age of Chaos, Nagash was once again slain and his forces driven back. Only a fierce counter-attack allowed the Mortarchs to claim his body and retreat to the lost underworld of Stygxx.[1c]
- With Nagash dead, the stronghold of Nagashizzar was razed until there was nothing left of it but a blasted crater radiating fell power.[1c]
- The people of the Glimmerlands in Anvrok find Ghal Maraz and build a monument around it.[1e]
- The sorcerer of Tzeentch, Ephryx constructs the Eldritch Fortress in Anvrok, harnessing and hiding the lost Ghal Maraz.[1e]
- The Bloodtide: Khorne attacks the other gods in the Realm of Chaos, invading both the Crystal Labyrinth of Tzeentch and the Garden of Nurgle. In the Mortal Realms, his followers attack everyone including other followers of the Blood God.
- Khorne assaults the Gates of Azyr once more with his Bloodlords - the eight greater daemons that commanded his legions, stiring up a massive force.
- The Stormcast Eternals arrive and herald the new Age of Sigmar.
- 1: Mighty Battles
- 2: Battletome: Ironjawz (2016)
- 3: Battletome: Flesh-Eater Courts (2016)
- 4: Battletome: Kharadron Overlords (2017)
- 5: Battletome: Sylvaneth (2016)
- 6: The Realmgate Wars: Balance of Power, The War of Lost Time
- 7: Battletome: Idoneth Deepkin (2018) - Underwater Empires, pg. 21
- 8: Age of Sigmar: Core Book (2nd Edition) - The Age of Chaos, pg. 30-41
- 9: Battletome: Kharadron Overlords (2020)
- 9a: Annals of the Overlords, pg. 20-21